Frances Dowell

We met with a real author in my Language Arts class at Durham Academy.

Frances Dowell is a author from Berlin, Germany. She is 56 years old and has written a number of books like The Sam the Man series. Her most popular book is Dovey Coe I think. It was made in 2000.

We met with her in our Language Arts class because we were going to start writing stories and then when we were done she would give reviews. My story is about a guy who falls off his friend’s boat without his friend realizing. The story ends with a cliffhanger and I plan to make a part 2. But I don’t think this is my best story.  Frances Dowell told us that we needed a cliffhanger so that’s what I did and from now on I’m going to put cliffhangers in my books. I’m going to paste my favorite part down here👇

I fell off my friend Jack’s boat a couple hours ago. He didn’t even notice he was going so fast.  I don’t know what to do. I’m trying to swim the way we came out. But I don’t know if I’m getting anywhere. I found an island after swimming for an hour. I had a life jacket on so I didn’t really get tired. Then I realized I’m in the middle of nowhere and I don’t even know if my friend is coming to get me. 

I like this part because it’s the first paragraph and it really sets the mood of the story and what it’s about.

FUN FACT: I actually got this idea from a guy on tiktok because this actually happened to him.

So I think that in my opinion the story starts to get confusing in the middle because it kinda gets unrealistic and I got confused reading it. Frances Dowell only read the first half and gave feedback on that she said it was good and she liked my characters. But I have no idea what she thinks about my second half. If you wanna learn more about her I’m gonna leave her link to her website.

Home